rob's blog

Creating wooden spline trackbed

Some of the W&MR is on the ground in a gravel roadbed, and some is elevated through gardens.

Wettington and Mahawatu Rwy Version 3 work comences

The Wettington and Mahawatu Railway Company has reformed and work has commenced on the Wettington and Mahawatu Railway Mark 3. I'll call it Version 3.

W&MR 2.5 proposed trackplan


More continuous running

another W&MR dies

A marriage breakup led to the need to sell the house. So the railroad had to be demolished. It has been gone for a few months but I only now felt like blogging about it.

Trestle bridge

The Wettington and Mahawatu Railway finally has its trestle bridge.

Eliminating small-radius turnouts

The throat into the Wettington storage shed was re-laid with Peco medium-radius turnouts. they are cheaper, look good, and seem better quality than Aristocraft.

Informal running evening

A few of the garden railway club came around on Friday evening for some casual running

W&MR pre-opening test run with Wellington Garden Railway Club

A most succcessful day was had with a dozen friends from the garden railway club.

Two live steamers. The steam-up track proved its worth.

Gwire control

Time to make some notes on the Gwire radio control system I am using.

Mount Kaukau coming along

The railroad will have a steep spiral track climbing a "mountain" to test the climbing abilities of folks' Shays etc...

All track foundations near finished

here we see the second rail line snaking through the trees. The first higher line is above it, almost finished (some paint touchup).

train shed

The new train shed is done.

Based on a custom-made DuraTuf shed kit: I ordered a special one only 1.2m high, all one dark colour (no trim colour), with double doors for maximum access.

first run

First test run of the Airwire radio-controlled Bachman 2-6-0 was about 1st of march 2012. of course I didn't think to photograph or video.

Ruling curve

The upside (and downside) of laying in ballast is that the track layout can be changed. This curve is too tight:

A simple bridge disguises edging

The original timber lawn edging performed a retaining function at the top of a steepish slope so i didn't want to remove it but the "creekbed" ran under it, as we saw in a previous post.


ooops nearly forgot the drainage - had to retrofit it into the roadbed.


Trackbed work continues

Digging and laying out roadbed ballast.

Civil engineering underway

With an initial plan for a loop, a turning wye, two towns, all on a small lawn and an extension under the deck to a storage shed, i

The W&MR rises again

We are in our new house, and the Wellington Garden Rail club have been around already for one track planning convocation.

Syndicate content